Update 08/27/13

Hello everyone! I know it has been a few weeks since i have updated everyone but the last few weeks have been CRAZY! Before i get into the details I want to start by saying thank you for all the support i have received since i posted the first blog. It was somewhat overwhelming and truly appreciated. I heard from some people that I didn’t anticipate hearing from with words of encouragement, support and even a few people shared with me how i have inspired them. I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart.

I started my pre-surgery diet on 7/30. My initial weight was 244lbs. Going into surgery on Tues 8/13 I had lost 14lbs and was down to 230lbs.  I was pretty happy with that. Surgery was a little harder than I anticipated. I got through the surgery fine. Everything looked great according to my surgeon. Brandon was wonderful. He was at the hospital with me around the clock. I tried to get him to go home but he just wouldn’t. Thank god for my mother-in-law who was home with Asa. Brandon was amazing. He walked me in the halls and rubbed my shoulder where the gas had settled to try and give me a little relief. I spent most of the day sleeping. I had a morphine pump and would hit it every time I opened my eyes. I was in quite a bit of pain and really just wanted to sleep through it. I was pretty nauseous too. I vomited a few times. It was the last one that scared me though. It was blood. I tried desperately not to panic, but i knew that wasn’t good. My surgeon did reassure me that it does sometimes happen and that i shouldn’t worry.

On Wednesday morning the nurses finally took the cathedar out. I was free of that nasty thing…or so I thought. They took me down for an Upper GI.  They had me swallow some die while the radiologist watched it go through my stomach. I was extremely nauseous through this entire process. After the first go round, the radiologist asked me to sit for a few minutes and try again. The dye was not getting through my stomach into my intestines. It was stuck. The radiologist reassured me that this too sometimes happens. That it was probably swelling that was the culprit. I was going to be sent back to my room and they would have to try again the next day. Needless to say, I was worried that something had gone wrong. My surgeon came to see me again later that evening to reassure me again that everything I was experiencing was normal. Bad news was i couldn’t urinate. The catheter had to go back in. Oh joy!

The next morning they took the catheter out again. This time I was able to use the bathroom! Thank god! The nurse explained that sometimes after surgery and having a catheter in that the bladder gets “lazy” and forgets how to work. It usually corrects itself within a day…just as it did with me. Good News! Ill take it!

Later that morning, I went down again to have my second upper GI. It was with the same radiologist. It took awhile, but slowly but surely the dye started to move through my stomach into my intestines! YEAH! I was so relieved! I was still in quite a bit of pain and hitting my morphine pump on a regular basis. Finally that evening, I was released to go home!

I was so happy to be home! I couldn’t wait to see Asa and Devan. I was ready to be home and in my own bed. For the next three days i was pretty doped up. I was on vicodin and i also had to give myself injections in my stomach (it sounds much worse than it was). I slowly started feeling better. The worst pain was in my left side under my rib. It was crazy sore. It hurt to cough, laugh, sneeze. It just all around hurt. I started laughing at something … I cant even remember what it was. The pain got so intense that i collapsed on the stairs and my laughter turned into tears. It sounds as crazy as it was. It was one of the oddest things I think that I have ever encountered.

The pain on my left side will probably be there for at least another week or two. It is getting better day by day. I came back to work last week on Wednesday, one week after I had surgery. People thought I was insane for coming back so soon. Brandon ended up out of town for work and it was actually easier for me to come to work and bring Asa to daycare than it was for me to try and stay home with him.

And that brings us to today. I am on straight protein. I get four oz three times a day. The weight is melting of of me. I am down to 213lbs. I have lost a total of 31lbs! I am could not be happier with my progress.  Although I don’t really see it yet, except for on the scale, others are noticing. Yesterday for the first time three different people stopped me at three different times to comment on my weight loss. That feels amazing!

This experience has not been easy, but I’m confident that it was worth it. I’m feeling pretty good!
Thanks for being a part of my journey!


2 thoughts on “Update 08/27/13

  1. Hey Court! I had gastric done ten yrs ago! It was struggle (recooperating), but well worth it! I ended up smaller than I was in college, a year afterwards! I’ve begun to gain a lot of weight back-but that is my fault! The surgery was well worth it.

  2. I am so glad you posted this and have decided to allow all to see. My Dr. has recommended I seek weight loss help via surgery. I have been struggling with the decision. What do I do? I too weigh 290lbs. I struggle every day to maintain this weight. I will be following your journey and truly wish you the best of luck. I know you and I know how strong you are so I know you will meet your goal. I look forward to hearing about all your success.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s